15
Wednesday
August 2018
2:39 PM IST
News Headlines
Home   | Main News   | Kerala  | National   | International  | Business   | Sports   | Entertainment   | Columns   | Offbeat   | About Deepika 
International News
Third day of deadly Syrian regime raids on rebel enclave
 
(Feb 8, 2018): Dozens of civilians were killed by renewed government strikes in a rebel-held enclave near Damascus, where overwhelmed medics were still treating survivors of the Syrian conflict's bloodiest day in months.

The district of Eastern Ghouta, controlled by rebel factions including Islamists, suffered some of its worst bloodshed in years on Tuesday, when 80 civilians were killed.

For the third consecutive day, regime warplanes returned Wednesday morning for fresh strikes on the enclave, with the death toll climbing to 34 civilians including a dozen children, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Among them was the young daughter of Abu Raad, a shell-shocked man from Eastern Ghouta.

"Now the rescue workers are searching for my second daughter but can't find her. What do I do?" he cried.

Tuesday's toll of 80 dead was "the highest civilian toll in Syria in nearly nine months, and one of the bloodiest days for Eastern Ghouta in several years," Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman told AFP.

Nineteen children and 20 women were among the dead, and around 200 were wounded, said the Britain-based war monitor.

The deadliest raids hit Beit Sawa and Hammuriyeh, the Observatory said.

'Chlorine' use

In Hammuriyeh, a young man stared at the bodies of five children, including his younger brother, killed in an air strike.

"I saw them filling up water, and a few minutes later the airplane hit. I came back and found all five dead," he said.

Civilians had been bracing for more raids as the regime appeared intent on ratcheting up the pressure on Eastern Ghouta, a rebel pocket on the capital's doorstep.

"Please break up all gatherings and clear the streets," blared an announcement from mosque minarets in Douma.

In apparent retaliation, rebel rocket fire on a government-controlled suburb of Damascus killed one child and wounded two people, state news agency SANA reported.

Citing a police source, state news agency SANA said the shells were launched from Eastern Ghouta.

Home to an estimated 400,000 people, the Eastern Ghouta region has been included in a de-escalation deal that was meant to bring calm.

But the bombardment has increased in recent days, including with suspected chlorine-filled munitions.

On Wednesday, French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said "all indications" pointed to the Syrian government's use of chlorine weapons.

Chlorine is suspected of having been used on two occasions this month alone on Eastern Ghouta.

The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said a fact-finding mission "is investigating all credible allegations".

The world's chemical watchdog voiced "grave concern" over the new reports.

The US State Department said on Monday it had recorded six suspected chemical attacks in Syria in the past 30 days.(AFP)


Bridge collapses in Italy during heavy storm, crushing cars
Officials: Afghan forces push back Taliban from key city
Bangladesh ex-PM Zia gets bail in defamation case
NASA launches Parker Solar Probe spacecraft
Imran Khan’s party bags 33 reserved seats; PTI NA tally stands at 158
Children among 39 civilians killed in Syria arms depot blast: monitor
NASA postpones Parker Solar Probe launch to Sunday
Malaysia ex-PM Najib to face corruption trial in February
India, Afghanistan discuss development projects
Imran Khan to take oath as Pakistan Prime Minister on Aug 18: party leader
US to slap crippling sanctions on Russia over nerve agent attack in Britain
Khan's party and allies secure over 180 seats in NA: Chaudhry
Death toll from Greek forest fire rises to 93, victims named
Ivan Duque sworn in as new Colombian president
Argentina ex-Vice President jailed over corruption charges
Saudi Arabia expels Canadian envoy for urging activist's release
91 killed in Lombok and Bali earthquake
Europe sizzles in heatwave as wildfire hits Portugal
Venezuelan President Maduro survives assassination bid, blames US, Columbia
Indonesia quake kills at least 19, injures dozens: official
ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
Amala Paul injured while filming a stunt sequence for Adho Andha Paravai Pola
 Chennai: Actress Amala Paul met with an accident while shooting a stunt sequence for her upcoming mo  
Deepveer to tie the knot on November 20 in Italy
Maradona - People will love this guy
Kinavalli - Where six friends and a ghost meet
KERALA NEWS
CM cancels Onam festivities in the state
 Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala government has decided to cancel the Onam festivities considering the mas
Dileep will not get the visuals: HC rules
E.P.Jayarajan sworn in as a minister
KSRTC Bus - lorry collision at Kannur; 18 injured
NATIONAL NEWS
Lead Us, DMK Leaders Tell Stalin, Day After Brother Alagiri's Message
 (Chennai, Aug 14, 2018):The first meeting of the DMK after the death of party patriarch M Kar
No income generated from YI-National Herald transaction: Sonia Gandhi to HC
Somnath Chatterjee dies at 89
No more free insurance for train travel, opt out or pay up: Railways
Untitled Page
Rashtra Deepika LTD
Copyright @ 2017 , Rashtra Deepika Ltd.