March 2018
5:19 PM IST
News Headlines
Home   | Main News   | Kerala  | National   | International  | Business   | Sports   | Entertainment   | Columns   | Offbeat   | About Deepika 
International News
Argentina formally ends search for sub survivors
(Dec 1, 2017): Argentina's navy on Thursday formally ended its search for survivors from the San Juan submarine, two weeks after the vessel went missing in the South Atlantic with 44 crew aboard.

The navy has shifted its mission from rescue to recovery, spokesman Enrique Balbi told reporters.

He said while it was not possible to definitively confirm the crew had perished, "no evidence of a shipwreck was found in the areas explored" and the international rescue effort had continued for "twice the time" it was estimated they could have survived.

"Despite the vast efforts made, we have been unable to locate the submarine," he said, though adding that international efforts to find the vessel would continue.

A senior Argentine navy officer was more blunt, saying that there was now no expectation of survivors.

"We are in the middle of a tragedy. The atmosphere in the navy is absolute consternation, anguish and pain. We lost 44 comrades," said the officer, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

In addition to the loss of life, "half of Argentina's submarine capacity was lost," the officer said.

The country now has one active sub, while a second is undergoing repairs.

The US navy said Thursday it had deployed an unmanned recovery vehicle to join the hunt. The US had already provided other assistance, as did about a dozen other countries.

The navy's final contact with the ARA San Juan, a 34-year-old German-built diesel-electric sub, came on November 15, when it was sailing in the South Atlantic 450 kilometers (280 miles) from the coast.

Explosion on board likely

In its final communication, the submarine reported it had overcome a mechanical breakdown that resulted from a short circuit due to the entry of water via the vessel's snorkel.

Three hours later, a noise similar to an explosion was recorded 48 kilometers from where the crew had given its last report.

The position was in line with the path the submarine would have taken to reach its base in Mar del Plata as planned, the navy has said.

An international armada of rescue ships backed by aircraft -- and thousands of personnel -- has been hunting for the submarine for days, with no success.

Relatives of the missing had mixed feelings about Thursday's announcement.

"They just threw away the last hope we had," said Luis Tagliapietra, the 46-year-old father of one of the missing submariners.

But Jorge Villareal, whose son Fernando was the ship's lieutenant, refused to give up.

"I continue to maintain my hope and faith. Our optimism is intact, no matter what they say," Villareal told AFP.

Among the ARA San Juan's crew was Argentina's first female navy submariner: Eliana Krawczyk, 35.

The loss of the submarine represents a huge blow to the country's already under-equipped military.

And the navy has come under fire for its handling of the tragedy, as it failed to mention the problem reported by the vessel for several days after its disappearance.

Argentine President Mauricio Macri last week ordered an inquiry into the missing submarine, saying it requires "a serious, in-depth investigation that will yield certainty about what has happened."(AFP)

Obama shares parenting tips with New Zealand PM Ardern
As Facebook scandal mushrooms, Zuckerberg vows to 'step up'
Austrian diplomat summoned from Israel over 'Nazi' shirt
Sri Lanka Opposition submits no-confidence motion against PM
Suicide bomber kills 26 in Kabul attack: officials
North Korea's Kim congratulates Putin on election victory
EU seeks Facebook data breach probe
France's Nicolas Sarkozy held over Gaddafi funding claims
Fundamentals of China's economy are sound: Chinese Premier
US should not act emotionally on trade: Chinese Premier
Islamabad still mulling Kabul's offer of talks, overtures
US senator introduces bill aimed at protecting call centre jobs
Trump slams Iran government in Nowruz message to Iranians
Putin wins fourth term, opponents say vote rigged
Bangladesh Supreme Court cancels Khaleda Zia’s bail
Turkey-backed forces take 'total' control of Afrin
Crushed hopes greet Aung San Suu Kyi in Australia
Mauritius: Ameenah Gurib-Fakim resigns over credit card scandal
Trump fires former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe
Six dead in Florida university footbridge collapse
Stepfather abused me, says actress
 (Los Angeles, Mar 22, 2018): "This Is Us" star Chrissy Metz has opened up about her life in  
As an actor, it is my duty to innovate: Rani Mukerji
Watch Video: Fun filled trailer of 'Kuttanadan Marpappa' is here !
Irrfan Khan diagnosed with tumour
The Last Ride: Family dies in Chathannur accident / Video
 (Chathannur, Mar 22, 2018, DG): The shocking death of parents and children after their bike c
Jackfruit declared as Kerala's official fruit
'Vayalkkili' leader Suresh's house attacked / Video
Govt poser to unrecognised schools over RTE norms
Over 400 people taken ill eating 'Prasad' in Howrah
 (Howrah (WB), Mar 22, 2018): More than 400 people were taken ill after eating 'bhog prasad'
Working for a grand, anti-BJP alliance: Sharad Yadav
Parliament proceedings washed out for 14th day in a row
Centre okays launch of National Health Protection scheme
Untitled Page
Rashtra Deepika LTD
Copyright @ 2017 , Rashtra Deepika Ltd.